Who should attend?
This course is designed for those workers who may enter a confined space or have responsibility for supervising or acting as a top man for the entry area. The course overs the issues which may arise in low to medium confined space or NC1 to 3.
The aim of the course is to assist delegates in the understanding of issues which arise in Confined Space environments, the characteristics of CS the equipment involved, the dangers and hazards which may exist, the management controls and implementation and all the documents which may need to be used.
By the end of the session all delegates will know how to identify the differing types of CS. The characteristics which arise, the equipment and safe use of that equipment, inspection regimes, records and other documentation to be used. We will also cover train and practice the rescue requirement’s for confined space.
• Relevant legislation, HASAWA 1974, CONFINED SPACE 1997, MHSWR 1999, PPE 1992\2002, PUWER 1998, LOLER 1998
• Permit to work systems.
• What is a confined space, definitions?
• Hazards associated with confined spaces
• Gas detection equipment and the safe use, inspection and calibration
• PPE, the suitability of equipment and its safe use.
• Rescue, harness, tripod and winch, and the inspection and safe use.
• Escape breathing apparatus, including demonstration and inspection.
• Communication with in the confined space.
• Intrinsically safe lighting and why it’s should be correctly used
• Emergency procedures, the planning and safe use.
• IS radios
• Maintenance checks of all the equipment before, during and after use.
• Checking and using equipment during full use and entry to a confined space.
• Practical exercise. The brief for the practical exercise is based on the requirements of the delegates on the course or based around a specific requirement supplied by Britannia training. This will be delivered by the instructor in the class room session and before entering the confined space. The instructor will also emphasise the rescue procedures should one be required.
Completion brief from the practical session based on the training carried out, at the training environment.